Saturday 12 February 2011

Going to work: A Chinese Holiday Ritual

Well, it's been over a week since Chinese New Year started, and I honestly don't quite know when it ends. I would like to say it probably ended already, but seeing that the festivities are going into the weekend, I guess it really lasts for two weeks?

Either way, I'm not too serious about it. Unlike other cultures who may celebrate Christmas on a different day, have a special Easter, or have their own New Year's holidays...Chinese people will never give themselves a break.

Never in elementary school or high school have I ever skipped school for the New Year. And why should I? It's just one of those holidays when you REALLY celebrate during the weekend.

I don't even know if I'm making sense here, but the point of this post is:  Chinese people are always working too hard!

During Christmas while every western store, mall, library and restaurant were closed...the Chinese ones remained open.  I live a three minute drive away from Pacific Mall, notably Toronto's most well-known Asian mall...and when we drove by on Christmas day, the parking lot was almost as crowded as the DVP during rush hour.

And having been inside during several random weekends, I didn't even want to know what it would be like inside.

But since it's Chinese New Year, one WOULD think that Chinese people would close down their stores for once and take a breather.

But they don't.

Instead, they're in their stores and restaurants, working harder than ever, happier than ever...AND LOUDER THAN EVER.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about working too hard. Chinese people strive for success and look out for ways to be honoured.  I mean who doesn't?  I guess it's just that Chinese people are extra-determined. 

I've got to admit though, many of these traits are instilled in me.  I have always been a very driven individual, and I rarely let anything stop me from reaching those goals. Some may call it being stubborn, but in the end, I always do end up getting what I want...in some way or another (even if it's not the ideal way...)

WOW, I realize I sounded really snobby and spoiled over there, but all I meant was that sheer determination will always get me where I want to be. 

And that's what I think most Chinese people think as well.

But really, when isn't Pacific Mall crowded?

And since I can't find a picture of me in Chinese attire, here's an old gem from Grade 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment