Sunday 6 November 2011

Being Jealous Gets You Nowhere. Nor Does Being Pretentious

I'm sorry if I don't make any sense here on this blog post.  But if you enjoy my rants, here goes:  

A couple of nights ago, I went out with some friends and started talking about a few people that grind my gears for the way the act or behave towards others.

Gossip is never a good thing, but at that point in time, I felt like I needed to address it.

And now I regret it.

No one's ever perfect, but the truth came out and will come out again (without specific names).

I cannot stand some of the pretentious d-bags in my program who constantly ask you whether or not you got published in the school paper or WILL get published in the near future.  It's great that you get published, but no need to rub it in my face that you're more successful than me.  

I will admit that I get a tiny bit jealous.  But getting jealous will not get me anywhere. Nor does complaining to your friends.  But that night, I felt like I needed to address it because I cannot stand people who shove their articles in my face.  

I'll admit that I have enthusiastically shown my articles to people only because it was something I was proud of.  But never do I do it for every single article I get a byline on.  There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, I will say that.  But when you decide to act like you're better than everyone else and decide to communicate with a certain number of people, then there's a problem.  

Being jealous and a pretentious keener can get you places but can also become a hindrance. Being jealous can give you more drive to get published and accomplish other things.  Being a pretentious keener can allow you to stand by your work and get to your goal.  

But being jealous and not doing anything about it will get you nowhere.  And by being a pretentious keener and acting like you're better than everyone else will leave you with little or no friends at all. 

So why people? Why can't we all just be nice and be friends?  Do I really have to tell people they're being annoying and irritating? 

Okay, I for one, will admit that I am annoying.  There's no secret about that.

But I really don't mean to say bad things about people...most of the time.  
But perhaps, that's something I just need to work on.  Some things are just better left unsaid.      

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for the comment you left on my blog. I always appreciate it when people leave feedback.

    I understand how you feel. We have a couple people like that in my program that seem to annoy everyone. It could just be that they have no social skills. That's usually what happens for us. Oh, they are less mature than the others. I wish you luck though, and everyone will have their time to shine.

    Like your blog, definitely going to follow you.

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete