Sunday 5 February 2012

Appreciating the work. Not the person.

My friends and I were having a discussion yesterday about film director Woody Allen.

For those of you who might not know this about him, he is infamous for marrying his step-daughter (well, adopted daughter of his ex-wife Mia Farrow).

This obviously leaves a creep factor for Allen, but I can't really deny his talent.

As scandalous as it is, I can see why people refuse to watch his films just because of this fact. But why can't people just see a piece of work for what it is? Allen is getting nominated/recognized for his work, not his personal life!

It's understandable not to pay for a film. But it is a bit silly to dislike something just because of the person behind it. ENJOY the piece of art! Not the person!!

Does this make sense?

So my point is: even though I am weirded out by Woody Allen, I think he is an extraordinarily talented writer/director.

And for that, I actually thank him for making a film that has solidified itself onto my top 20 list (if not top 10).

No comments:

Post a Comment