Saturday 18 December 2010

Let's Back Up to my China Days.

It always excites me at the prospect of being able to go on vacation. Though as terrible as it seems, I was never a big fan of trips with my direct family. Of course I love and care about them, but being in a foreign place with no one but your family to turn to can be quite annoying. Not only that, there really isn't anyone your age to associate with or to make friends with!

A year ago, in the summer of Grade 11 (this sounds ages ago!), I was given the opportunity to travel to China with a group of students...with no parents!  Well of course there were teacher supervisors, but to know how easy it was to sneak out of the hotel...is honestly a joke.


 To think that didn't want to go in the beginning with fears of being the oldest student, is something I deeply regret. China was...to say the least...the single most amazing experience I have ever had in my life thus far. I went in thinking that I was one of the oldest, and that I wouldn't make any friends. I have no idea why I do this all the time, but I always have my self-doubts.

When I found out that a friend I knew since Grade 9 was going on the trip as well, some of the weight came off of my shoulders.  I was finally able to relax, take a chill pill and just enjoy! And besides, I ended up making many friends, for which I am grateful to have met.

However, this is not a post about making friends.  Although it does have a big part in this, this post is really about taking chances to travel alone without your family to gain more experiences.

During my two week trip to China, I not only saw several tourist attractions such as the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the Bird's Nest, the WaterCube, and Tienanmen Square. What came with that were fun times and inside jokes (AWWWW CORNY) and several useful lessons such as how to properly cross a street full of crazy drivers, how to bargain with the locals, how McDonalds in China is so much better than the ones in Canada, how Wal-Mart in China is amazing, and of course how to take care of myself (*CUE MORE AWWWS*)

And the food...the food was amazing. I wish I had taken more photos of the food.  I sincerely regret that. However, the taste will always remain  in my memories (hehe).

Nevertheless, I have learned my lesson. Never pass by a traveling opportunity. I believe that everyone must take a pilgrimage to their home country at least once in their life.


 More awesome in real life I tell you!  Just wish I was there a year back when Usain Bolt beat the world record!
 Carson and I chilling with the Olympic Mascots. I wish I brought one home!!
 I assure you, I didn't eat any of that!  Only in China...

Why can't Canada have such goodness?

 Friends!!!! I think we should get together soon!! ? YES?

 This was when I conquered the Great Wall!! Well there is one thing for sure, I didn't like wearing these green shirts. We stood out like Christmas lights!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment