Saturday 10 July 2010

Children these days

It's funny how children from this generation are different from my generation.  Nowadays, children rely so much on technology such as the computer, Wii, Ipods, Cellphones and Nintendo DSes.  For the past two weeks, I have been travelling with my younger cousins.  With them, this reliance has become imminent.  My seven year old cousin is obsessed with his Nintendo DS.  When he cannot play his Pokemon game, he throws a fit.  Like literally, he will kick, whine, and start crying.  I find this incredibly sad and embarrassing.  Seven year olds DO NOT need a Nintendo DS.  As well, he has an mp3 player.  What kind of songs does a young child like him need to listen to?

I don't understand why children need to have these things.  Sure, its a good thing that children are becoming more technologically advanced these days, but it is a terrible thing to be so obsessed and relient on electronics! No child younger than ten years old needs an mp3, cellphone or DS.  My reason for this is because these children are too young to know the difference between what is important and what is for leisure time and fun.  They don't seem to know how to multi-task while playing whatever they are playing, and pay attention to what someone is saying while doing these things. 

For the past two weeks, I have seen this in my seven year old cousin.  As much as I love him, he has really been annoying me throughout our whole vacation because of his DS.  When he can't play his DS, he asks me for my Ipod Touch.  I don't know why there is such a need for these electronics to keep him entertained because it's just so unnecessary!  He needs to learn how to socialize and do other things! 

So today, I played a little trick on him.  I hid his DS.  He was too busy pretending to do "Winter Olympic Sports", that I took his DS away from him.  I told his mother and his sister and together we pretended it was gone for good.  He whined, cried, and BEGGED us to go back to the hotel.  He claimed that he could not survive without his Nintendo DS.  I just didn't know what to do anymore.  I am not sure if he really learned the whole point of my trick when I returned it back to him.

(SIGH) Kids today, are given too much.

I swear, when I have children, I think I'm going to deprive them more than others, and make them do something healthy like extracurriculars such as sports and arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment