Tuesday 21 September 2010

Getting to a Routine.

It is now officially my third week of school and to be honest with all of you, I actually kind of love it!  At first I had my doubts because of my terrible marks (as seen in my total FAIL of a video blog) and not moving out.

 Don't get me wrong though. I STILL hate the commute and not being able to stay as long as I want downtown. The hour and a half commute there and back (that's three hours in total) is exhausting!  I absolutely hate it.  I could be sleeping or even joining a cool club or sports team down at my school.

 In terms of adjusting to my classes, I'm hoping that it's getting better.  For sure, Writer's Block is no longer much of a problem.  I don't even have time to do much thinking, because usually an assignment is just thrown at me to be done by the end of the class.  And in a weird and twisted way, I'm actually kind of enjoying these exercises.

By far, my favourite assignment was the 'Streeters' I did last week.  This consisted of me going up to Yonge and Bloor to ask random people on the street a question about the Toronto International Film Festival.  This was mainly an exercise to help the class get used to approaching people and collecting quotes word for word.  It also helped us a lot with note-taking.

Although this experience was enjoyable, I encountered several people who did not want an interview.  If they weren't 'too busy' or 'to cool', they would end up answering my question but refuse to give me their names!!  Seriously, approaching people can be hard! 

I did get several interesting answers.  One man actually worked at the festival, and he interviewed Keanu Reeves!  Another, gave me a humourous answer about why James Franco should play the role of Superman (which I 100 percent agree!)

At first, I thought that I would have a lot of trouble getting people to talk to me, especially in a busy location such as Yonge and Bloor.  While I did have a little bit of difficulty, it wasn't so hard in the end. I was actually really scared to approach people in the beginning, but I realized that I probably wouldn't see those people again.  Therefore, I broke out of my shell and started asking questions without thinking of what others thought of me.

So Lesson One of being a Journalist:  DO NOT BE SHIT SCARED TO APPROACH PEOPLE TO DIG FOR ANSWERS. IF THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMN, THEY PROBABLY AREN'T WORTH A QUOTE ANYWAYS.

And really, who wouldn't want to be featured on a publication? 

No comments:

Post a Comment